Feb 12, 2013

Tuesday, 2/12/13

One of my favorite parts about my time in Haiti is that every day is different. This week is Ra Ra, aka Carnival, a nationwide celebration of Mardi Gras. Because of this the clinic was supposed to be closed and only one staff member was to be there. They doctors didn’t expect any patients to show up but when Dr. Abel showed up this morning there were 60+ people. Nurse Shelly was quickly summoned by Pastor Pierre to go down and lend a hand and she pulled me along with her. Upon arrival I was immediately seated in the waiting room and instructed to take and record every patient’s vitals. Shelly taught me how to take blood pressure four months ago and at first I was nervous sitting in front of people of all ages as they watched me take the first patient’s blood pressure. But I survived and took everyone’s blood pressure and recorded their weight--including a couple of adorable babies! Tomorrow I will be heading back to do the same thing and am beyond excited. I am more than grateful for this experience in the clinic and it reassures me that nursing is the right path for my future.
baby goats!
Back at the mission much was going on.  Part of the group worked in the high school installing the computers for the computer lab. Reeny was a busy beaver as she bounced from leading a seminar with teachers (without a translator!) and observing Edvens while he taught his English club. The conference with the teachers was complimented with a lunch so some of our group was busy preparing lunch for over 70 people this morning. I returned from the clinic just in time to have lunch with all of the teachers. I enjoyed being in a room with all of the teachers at once and I think the members of the team enjoyed getting to know the teachers a little better since we don’t find ourselves interacting with them that frequently. In the afternoon Sandy and my mom helped the scarf painting girls. They are starting to find themselves more and more comfortable with leaving this team of girls to work and make scarves even after we leave so there will be a constant supply of them. The most adventurous activity that took place today was a trip to the market to buy 18 goats and one cow. The Americans who tagged along were thoroughly awed at the pure chaotic atmosphere of the market and the very tight quarters. They successfully returned with all of the livestock which will be distributed tomorrow.
I am ready for a new day to commence! Thank you for your continued prayers for our safety, good health and ability to work hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment