Feb 24, 2013

...So when can I go back?

Once again I've found myself reflecting on yet another successful trip. Over the three weeks worth of time I spent at the mission...

  • Spam was eaten (and will never be eaten again)
  • a realization sunk in that there was no avoiding stepping in goat poop
  • Edvens (Haitian translator) was hit in the head with a basketball and baseball within a span of 5 minutes of each other (when I say I'm not good at a sport I mean it, that doesn't mean throw me a ball and expect things to go over smoothly)
  • dance parties with the kitchen staff occurred on a more frequent basis than they would normally have approved of
  • baby goats were obsessed over
But seriously...
  • 500+ eye glasses were distributed
  • preschoolers learned their colors in English
  • 100's of villagers were seen during mobile clinics
  • children learned the fundamentals of baseball
  • Bright Morning Star English Club had some guest instructors
  • a computer lab was set up
  • 12th grade students participated in chemistry labs
  • soccer was played
  • art classes were taught
  • scarfs were painted (to be sold in the US to fund the artists education fund)
  • a new school for the town of Paul was drawn up and construction started on
  • animals were bought for sponsored children
  • rice was distributed to expectant mothers
  • remote villages were visited for post clinic checkups and vitamin distribution
  • nutrition classes were taught in the school
  • maintenance work for the mission itself was completed
  • church services had guest speakers (and singers)
  • a conference for teachers and pastors was held
  • patients in the clinic were attended to
  • well water was tested
  • cookies for the school children were made by the owner of Bethel Bakery along side the Haitian baker in a solar oven
  • solar panels were mounted
  • most importantly-friendships were made and expanded upon 
I have now taken four trips to Haiti in the past 20 months. Technically speaking I should go back in five months or so. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to return until next January and that's even up in the air. Knowing that before I left made saying goodbye terribly hard. I am extremely thankful for the relationships I have created and for now can only pray that I will be able to return. Thank you for those of you who have supported me over the years and provided your prayers for me, the teams I have traveled with and the people of Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment