Feb 15, 2013

Friday February 15


I’ve reached that time once more-my last day here. Before I’ve been able to handle it decently well solely because I have known the exact month in which I would return. Since I will be in college next year I’m not sure when I will be able to come back. These three weeks have been incredible and each day got better and better.

Yesterday, Meghan, Susan, Shelly were back at the clinic seeing patients and taking blood pressure. Things were winding down for the day when a woman came in with a very obviously malnourished baby. We soon found out that the woman was this baby’s aunt and had brought him in because the mother was mentally ill and was neglecting to feed him. His name was Riccardo and was 3 months old, weighed 3kg and was the size of a newborn. We began to re-hydrate him and within an hour he was more alert and active. Riccardo’s aunt promised that when she returned home that she would care for this child for the rest of his life. The aunt had watched her sister do the same thing to three other babies who are all deceased because of her actions. I was overjoyed when the aunt said she would be Riccardos guardian and happy to see her leave with confidence knowing that she had done the right thing to bring the child to the clinic.

We all have had a busy week and I think it’s safe to say we all feel like this pig at this point and can pass out wherever is convenient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment