Feb 11, 2013

Monday, 2/11/13

Tonight I have a guest post from Meghan Allwes:

So far my experience in Haiti has been incredible. What I love the most here are the Hatian's. Their spirits are unbelievable considering all the hardships they indure on a daily basis. One of my favorite experiences so far was going to church on Sunday.  Even though we and Haitians have bipolar cultures and lifestyles, we are all brought together to serve God. Their undeniable faith in God is something we should take note of. Before I came I was obsessively worrying about a D I got on my bio test, but now it seems so silly to be concerned about something that minor in my life. Haiti changes perspectives. Here are a few things I learned so far for anyone who has never traveled to Haiti:The drivers are crazy and use their horns instead of a turn signal. Do not get on a Tap-Tap (Haitian taxi) because you are not  guaranteed a seat where you are hanging off the edge of the vehicle clinging on for your life. Haitian women have a special talent where they can balance baskets and jugs that are full on their heads while walking. Also, Haitians can survive this 90 degree weather with flying colors in long pants and long sleeve shirts while we Americans are dying in our short sleeve shirts and shorts. The goats look like dogs because they are so little. I feel like most Haitians I talk to think I'm crazy since my Kreyol is so bad, but they always have a smile on their face. Haitians are very friendly and always saying bonjou unlike in America how we just walk past some people without a simple hello. The children are so sweet, and I love the interactions with them because they are so lively. Although my Kreyol is very limited,  I can still interact with them and we have somewhat of a mutual understanding. Haitian children LOVE having their picture taken, and they all laugh after they see it. Today while traveling to Katia, I took a picture of some village boys who ran up to me, and they followed me around the entire time we walked. They were hysterical! 

This is a new friend of mine who I met during church on Sunday


I defiantly underestimated the difficulty of nurse Shelly's one of many responsibilities to deliver vitamins and medications to Haitians. It is a hard to walk in the heat, and the fact there is no plumbing in these remote villages is very inconvenient when you gotta go. The hardest part is witnessing the poverty and how much help these people need. As we stopped to treat the families we planned to visit, children and adults crowded around asking for medical assistance as well.  I wish I had vitamins to distribute to every Haitian, or at least a piece of candy for every Haitian child who asked me for one. I admire the work Shelly does because the conditions she has to work in along with the limitations she has to serve. However, any little thing brightens a Haitian's day, something as little as a piece of candy. 

I am happy my brother Mark decided to tag along because this is a life changing experience, and it makes it that much more special that we are doing it together. He has built great relationships with a few Haitian guys our age, and he is even helping them with their English. In Haiti everyone finds his/her place to do God's work, and there are so many opportunities to do so. If given the opportunity, everyone should take the time to do any type of mission work, because it is such a humbling experience, and its even better if you get to do it with your twin brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment