Feb 2, 2013

Friday, 2/1/13 and Saturday 2/2/13


Friday was a great last day for the team here this week. The eye glass team saw more people. They calculated that over the entire week the have prescribed and given glasses to over 500 people. The medical team visited the kids in school and found a few children who needed care. The teaching team did one last stint with the preschoolers and we painted with water colors. It was amazing to see the creativity these kids have. The kids were completely enthralled with their creations and it was evident that the teachers were impressed as well. 


It wouldn't be a last day in Haiti if you didn't jam pack a lot into Friday afternoon. We helped teach the after school English club and used books from the library I started a year ago. I had a small group of older boys and we took a book and I had them read each page out loud one at a time. Once they finished reading, they would ask me what some of the words meant and I would get my panties all up in a bundle trying to figure how on earth I could explain it to them. In the end it all worked out and they used the picture to help them comprehend what they had just read. My favorite part about working with this group of young men is that they encourage each other, when one of them will get hung up, they will say "wait, take your time, think about it, don't rush." It's not just their eagerness to learn that blows me away but their encouragement to one other so they can all learn as much as possible.

Late afternoon we went to play baseball. Abe and Pat suggested that Ray and I coach so we will be experienced for the next two weeks to continue with the kids. It's been a joy being able to work with Pat and Abe this week and watching their love not only for the sport but also for the kids' success. 

When we came back we had 13 blancs (white people) waiting for us in the compound. A friend of Pierre's runs a mission about 30 miles north of here and his group stopped in for the night so they could have an easier drive to the airport this morning. I enjoyed hearing their stories about their week.  

It is now Saturday and I was sad to say good bye to my team this morning. This week has been more than I could have asked for, working alongside these people who were all complete strangers to me just a week ago was such a blessing. Nurse Shelly and I legitimately have the compound to ourselves today it will be a nice to reflect upon this past week and get excited for my Westminster team to come this afternoon. 

I ask for prayers for safe travels for all of those leaving and for those who are coming. For prayers that this new teams eyes will be opened to the hope and love that God has in this country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment