Feb 8, 2013

Thursday, 2/7/13


I don't think this post will even begin to describe how unbelievable happy I am about today. Granted, I personally didn't do that much-BUT it was just an all around good day. 

morning hike 
We started our morning nice and early and walked up the mountain with Pastor Pierre to watch the sunrise. Walking up the mountain during the day is one thing but to do it in the morning is a completely different story. The sun rises over the mountain line and you can watch the light touch the other mountains and slowly bring the valleys into a golden light as the fog drifts from village to village through the fields of banana trees and rice patties. Afterwards I found myself in the kitchen making pancakes for the group and getting crafty with our resources throwing trail mix into some for a little added ump.

nutrition class with Shelly and Betsy
I spent my morning watching Shelly and Betsy (a nutritionist) go to a few classrooms and educate the kids about their nutrition and proper hygiene. The lesson was complete with a drawing of what their plate should look like during a meal. It was fun watching the two of them get the kids to interact so much because children are usually in seats in a more traditional learning setting.

Afterwards I was back in the kitchen making lunch. I always enjoying getting to spend time in there because the kitchen staff is absolutely delightful. Although I may not speak their language I feel as if we can still joke around. 

Ray, Carolyn, Betsy and I set off to see a local students art work in his house. His name is Jimmy and this week he has been helping Sandy with her art class and he approached her about buying some of his pieces. She bought one and he returned the next day with more and the team quickly snatched them up. I am proud to say I am the lucky owner of one! Anyway, back to us going to his house. Carolyn is documenting our trip and turning the footage into a short film and appreciated the opportunity to see Jimmy's house and entire collection. We walked into his one room 9 x 18 ft. house and soon realized that each wall was lined with his work. It took my breath away. This student, 22 years old, has an unbelievable talent which will hopefully provide a living for him here in Haiti
Jimmy
On our way home we stopped at the Community of Hope and played with the kids who are absolutely delightful.  While they were busy dancing and coloring with markers and paper Shelly and I brought, I tried to obtain my a petit cabri (a baby goat). I quickly found out that trying to catch a goat is nearly impossible, even if you have a hand of trail mix to offer it! 

the way to New Perisse
Before dinner Pastor Pierre asked if some of us wanted to go see the construction on houses in New Perrise. I jumped in the car not giving why we were going a second thought. I'd been to New Perrise in November and there were a few very well made houses. Upon arrival today I was blown away. Where maybe 6 houses stood three months ago were now more than 15. Old Perrise was in the flood plane which was constantly a problem. The families were trying to relocate to a higher area and relocate they did! 
new construction in New Perisse
And then we came back to the mission (I accidentally wrote "we came home" and then realized that this isn't my home, even as much as I'd like it to be) and there was breadfruit for dinner! I can't describe it for those of you who have never had it except that it is heavenly. 

After dinner we always share the events of the day and there is so much more that happened. Such as a lot of sponsors getting to interact with their sponsored children. I wish I could write about this, but I'm going to have to defer you to the rest of the team to get the stores from them when they return home. I've had a blast with this group and will be sad to see some of them go on Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment