Nov 26, 2012

"We are the world united by love so strong...we are the world connected by a common bond-love"

Before hand I knew that good things were going to come out of this trip and afterwards I can easily say that amazing, incredible, beautiful things came out of this trip. Our group of 17 was more than a perfect fit for the weeks tasks.

Throughout the week we accomplished the following:
Gary (or as the team referred to him "Dad"), Lou, John, Rob,
Clay and Ben prepare to walk the buckets of sand
 and water to the school for the men working on the floor.
  • worshiping and sharing Gods gospel
  • basketball clinic and games
  • soccer games after school (soccer and basketball supplies were collected by Rob, Ben, Lou, Clay and Luke before the trip from donations from various organizations and community members)
  • visits to surrounding villages each day to help nurse Shelly with house visits/followups on patients, blood pressure screenings and vitamin distribution
  • bracelet making (now being sold in the US)
  • scarf making (also being sold in the US)
  • English class with the Bright Morning Star English Club
  • working in child sponsorship updating files
  • food distribution to over 600 families in desperate need
  • trip to Paco to update student files for medical purposes and vitamin distribution
  • trip to Paul to survey for the new school
  • organization of scarf making supply closet
  • organization and addition to the library I helped start on my January 2012 trip
  • assembly, hanging and ringing of a new school bell
  • moving of sand and water to aid the Haitians in the laying of tile in the school
  • carpentry and assembly of lab benches and cabinets in a school room
  • distribution of braided bracelets donated by another Pittsburgh group to every school student in La Croix
  • clinic visits with nurse Shelly
  • walks up the mountain (partially motivated to work off the amazing food we ate all week)
  • organization of medical supplies
  • spur of the moment small group English lessons with eager students
...and for me, the most beautiful event this week was the delivery of a baby. Nurse Shelly knows I'm on the edge of pursuing a career in the medical field and took it upon herself to make sure I was involved in every medical aspect of the trip that came up. Late afternoon on Friday she eagerly approached me and exclaimed that a baby was being born at the clinic 1/2 mile down the road and wanted to know if I was interested in assisting. I mean, how could I say no? We quickly changed into scrubs and walked as fast as possible to the clinic (with RoRo (Roland the translator) walking as slow as a turtle behind us as if nothing was up). Since the Haitians don't receive any pain meds during labor we could hear the mother screaming before we were even on the property of the maternity ward. Before I knew it we were in the room and the child was being delivered. Yardly (the Haitian midwife) delivered the baby as Shelly and I held the mothers hands. The first  Kreyol phrase I learned that week was "please remain clam." I was contemplating testing my Kreyol and telling the mother "tempri rete tranquil" but figured she probably wouldn't be too pleased with a tiny white 17 year old telling her to remain calm while she was busy giving birth to her child. When the baby was born I had the privilege of cutting the umbilical cord, showing the mother her baby for the first time and then showing the baby to the rest of the family and letting the great grandmother cradle her.  I cried when the baby was born. I cried when I saw the dads face when he saw his healthy daughter for the first time. I cried as told my dad I helped deliver a baby.

As I look back on this experience I realize that I watched this child take its first breath. The first breath of a life that most likely wont be too easy. But a breath that would last a life time. This girl has the potential to grow up in Pastor Pierre's community and that in itself is a blessing more and more people are involved in each year. When I realized this, my worries and fears for a hard life ahead of this child vanished. As our team worked with Pierre and his staff this week it was evident that something was going right in the mission of La Croix. The kids come to school and receive and outstanding education. The families have a place to come and worship. There is a clinic that is self supporting for the community access. The students have (or will in the very near future) a vocational school to attend. The families have God's hand and Pastor Pierre's generosity to be thankful for.

the view from the top of the mountain across the street from the mission

As our team became aware of the good things about the mission we were appreciative of Pierre's efforts and intelligence and wish there were more people like him in Haiti. God's hand is at work in La Croix and this past week, our group was able to be part of that and work alongside the Haitians to complete projects that in some way or another were able to better their lives.

we made a quick stop to admire the Caribbean
on the way back to the airport
However the projects weren't everything. Having talked to some of the team since we got home the most valued thing we were able to take away (although the trip most certainly isn't about what we get out of it but what the Haitians do, there are evidently some very emotional experiences that we can say we got out of the trip) from this were the friendships we made and expanded upon. These friendships are some that we can't even say we have with those here in the states. We were openly able to worship the Lord and break out into song randomly, joke around with as if we had know each other for years. "We are the world united by love so strong...we are the world connected by a common bond-love" have to be my some of my favorite lyrics and I think they fit this trip perfectly. Yeah, we did a handful of projects but these projects were done with immense love. Our friendships were built through the love of Christ. The love (and thankfulness) the Haitians have for not only one another but for us. And it's this love that draws me to Haiti again and again, and it's this love that will pull me back in January 2013 for three weeks. Until then-orevwa ak mesi (goodbye and thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment