Nov 18, 2012

Sunday written by Darby Gallo

After traveling for 18 hours yesterday, we arrived safely at la Croix. I wasn't surprised however when I greeted Pierre with "I'm home" after we landed in Port-au-Prince. I was constantly asked if I was excited before we left but to be honest it just felt like a normal trip. I truly feel as if I came home yesterday. 


Haiti has yet to fail to be welcoming to our large group. Church was a delightful service as always, Luke prayed for us and the congregation and Ben led our group in the singing of "Morning Has Broken." On the ride up to La Croix, Edvens who works in the sponsorship office kept telling me that my sponsored boy was asking when he would see me again. As I walked out of church Edvens came around the corner holding the hand of my very tiny four year old boy who I sponsor. I quickly scooped him up and nuzzled his face in my chest as I cried thinking how I can make such a difference in his life by sending him to school even though he may be too young to understand this.
Schanider and I after church

Later in the day we had the opportunity to do a basketball clinic and soccer games with the kids. A small group of us went off to the Community of Hope a half mile down the road that I had been to before but I never had the opportunity to see the well. In the back of the property of the village was a conglomeration of women and a few men huddled around a tiny pump filling bucket after bucket of water to take back to their houses. I always forget how much more effort the Haitians have to put in to some of the simplest things for us to do just on a daily basis. 

After the team showered tonight a small group of the youth, Edvens and I gathered on the roof and began singing some songs and then went around our circle and prayed. One by one the rest of our group joined us and we found ourselves sharing a touching experience to end the day. I was touched when Edvens said that I had indirectly taught him a lesson that they are no less than us simply because I treat my return to Haiti as a time to be back with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Pastor Pierre then joined us and was able to share his life story with the group. He said that "The lord put me here To make a difference" and I feel as if the Lord has also placed our team here this week to make a difference. Having not known if the trip was going to happen or not just a couple months ago to having one of the most energetic groups I've traveled with I can not wait to get the work week started to truly carry out the change we can make not only physically but emotionally- by forming new friendships and sharing the Good News with our brothers and sisters in Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment