Jan 30, 2012

Thoughts From Back Home



Never have I thought of the term "brothers and sisters in Christ" as I had this week. Arriving in Port Au Prince and being greeted by Edvens felt as if I went to visit my brother in college and gave him a hug. The people we worked along side with this week, "blancs" and Haitians, continually reminded me that I was there to help my brothers and sisters, not someone who was lesser than me. Not only did I think that, but had examples put right before me of how amazing my "brothers and sisters" truly are. 

Leaving a whole bunch of teenage friends and going and getting to know some new friends only reminded me of the friends that I left at home. They still have that sense of humor that makes you laugh so hard you want to cry, the kindness to share their knowledge with you, and the eagerness to have fun every minute possible.


Multiple times during the week I was reminded that we were all worshiping the same God. Although church might be the most obvious example of this, two other instances proved to be more heart warming. One morning I walked past one of the preschool rooms and heard Chris Hestwood singing "Amazing Grace". I poked my head in just in time to see the teacher turn from the students and sing "Amazing Grace" back to Chris in Kreyol. During a later day in the week I was in the school painting when I was approached by one of my friends. I thought he would stick around but I was thoroughly surprised when he said "I will be back in a couple of minutes, I want to go pray." When he said that I just about fell over with astonishment. Never have I ever been told to wait because someone has to go pray. Him saying this only reminded me once more that he was my brother in Christ and needed God in his life just as much as I need God in mine.

My family's sponsored child, Virgenette (in the white),
her sister,  Carlmaria,  and her mother.
So I guess you can call this more of a "Family in Christ"
I was blessed to be able to go to Haiti this past week and have experiences such as these. I look forward to returning in the future to have my eyes opened even wider to God's vast greatness.  


You might also enjoy reading my traveling companion Sarah's thoughts. Here she writes prior to our trip. And these are her thoughts upon returning home.

No comments:

Post a Comment