Jan 30, 2012

Day Five


From Chris Hestwood: Today was exhausting but productive I was up on the roof at 6 am, as has been my custom down here, to see the sun rise.  Jason is often the first up, followed by me and then Susan or Bobbie.  What a great way to greet the day!  We left around 8:30 to go to two rural schools.  While there, we gave the students anti-parasitic medicine , which was followed by a piece of candy to ease their palate.  Apparently it tastes awful-you'll have to ask Margaret, who gave it a try.  The little ones were so cute, but a bit apprehensive about the whole process.  The older students accepted the whole process with resignation.  At the end, each student was given a composition book that included a handwritten letter and a picture from my students at Baker Elementary School.  The letters had been translated into Creole, so there was no language barrier. 

This afternoon I attended a music class.  Music is, truly, a universal language!  The students were using solfage (do, re, mi...) quite unsuccessfully.  The teacher asked me to do the exercise.  I don't think they know I have advanced degrees in music.  They were quite surprised that I, "la Blanc (the white)," could successfully complete the exercise!

I am stunned by how closely Haiti resembles Malawi.....extreme poverty...similar landscapes...the same faces and images...But Haiti is a mere two hour flight from Miami.  And Malawi is halfway around the world, far from "civilization." It leaves me scratching my head that the Dominican Republic, the land of posh resorts, is on the other side.

I am in awe of Pastor Pierre.  His vision and commitment to the people of La Croix and surrounding communities is something to see firsthand.  His and his wife are not only excellent hosts, but magnificent stewards of our many gifts.  

From Lois Franks: Dan Paul and I decided to sponsor a child in LaCroix. Denny, the translator, was able to introduce me to Binda and she is eleven. With Denny's help I conversed with her and wondered what I could buy her or get for her. Tears ran down my cheeks when her answer was that all she wanted was a goat. I was surprised first that she didn't want a toy or a dress but secondly that the goat would be only $30 and could be delivered on Tuesday! This trip has been a blessing in so many different ways.

Prayer Requests
 Today's requests are for....
  • blessings upon the many Haitians that help and support us...from the kitchen staff to the translators to the guard at the mission gate to the man that insists on helping to paint the school walls and so many more!
  • that tomorrow can be productive to wrap the projects in LaCroix as the entire team heads to the region of Paul on Friday to work with the school children there.

No comments:

Post a Comment